Hey everyone, welcome to my recipe page, If you’re looking for new recipes to try this weekend, look no further! We provide you only the best Shepherd's Pie recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Shepherd's Pie recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Learn How to Elevate Your Mood with Food.
A lot of us think that comfort foods are terrible for us and that we need to stay away from them. At times, if your comfort food is essentially candy or other junk foods, this can be true. Otherwise, comfort foods may be extremely nutritious and good for you. There are a number of foods that actually can raise your moods when you consume them. If you are feeling a little bit down and you need an emotional pick me up, try several of these.
Eggs, believe it or not, are wonderful for helping you battle depression. Just be sure that you don’t toss out the egg yolk. The egg yolk is the part of the egg that is the most important in terms of helping you cheer up. Eggs, specifically the yolks, are rich in B vitamins. These B vitamins are great for helping to elevate your mood. This is because they improve the function of your brain’s neural transmitters (the parts of the brain that dictate how you feel). Eat a couple of eggs to jolly up!
Now you can see that junk food isn’t necessarily what you have to eat when you want to help your moods get better. Try several of these instead!
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to shepherd's pie recipe. To cook shepherd's pie you need 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to cook Shepherd's Pie:
- Prepare of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- Take of half & half.
- Take of butter.
- Take of kosher salt.
- Get of cracked pepper.
- Use of egg yolk.
- Use of canola oil.
- You need of small onion, diced (about one cup).
- Use of carrots, peeled, diced (1 cup).
- Take of large cloves garlic, minced.
- Use of ground lamb (traditional) or ground beef.
- Get of kosher salt.
- Prepare of cracked pepper.
- You need of flour.
- Provide of tomato paste.
- Provide of Worcestershire sauce.
- Use of beef broth.
- Use of ea. Chopped fresh rosemary and thyme leaves.
- Take of Kernels cut from 2 ears corn (1 cup).
- Provide of frozen peas.
Steps to make Shepherd's Pie:
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes..
- Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F..
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute..
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula..
- Place on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving..
Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Add some grated hidden veggies to help the kids eat healthily. Shepherd's pie is comforting, satisfying and most of all tastes great!
If you find this Shepherd's Pie recipe useful please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.